How to host a Virtual Murder Mystery “Couple’s Night”
Hosting a Broadway Murder Mysteries game night for your closest couple friends can be a breeze! All of our murder mystery parties are designed to be played by 4-20 people. ALL 20 roles have full motives and ANY of the characters could be the murderer. Because our games contain everything you need to host and run your murder mystery party, a Couple’s Night event can easily be coordinated via Zoom (or other video chat apps) and self-hosted.
Here are some tips to remember when inviting couples to play together:
1. Share screens! You may think that every guest needs their own device for our games to work, but that’s not the case. Players in the same home/location may simply print out their Character Packet and Question Menu PDFs ahead of time- then they can easily sit next to their sweetheart and share the same screen. Just make sure to tell them not to peek at their partners packet! ;)
2. Stop for breaks! It’s easy to get caught up in the action and try to speed thru the materials, but when hosting a large party for your couple friends you should take time at the beginning of the event and between rounds for small talk. Make sure everyone knows each other as their “real life” selves before moving into the game. Your guests will appreciate time to refill drinks or take a bathroom break.
3. Give out awards! Everybody loves an award- go crazy with them! In addition to the standard Best Costume or Best Performer awards, try using Best Couple, Funniest Couple, or maybe Sweetheart Couple… be creative- it’s YOUR show!
4. Choose an appropriate theme! Ok, you know your group- take their feelings into consideration when choosing a mystery. Are they all Millennials? They might not love the 80s Mall Madness theme, but they would probably go crazy for Bullets on Broadway! Also remember to check the rating before you select a theme- some themes, like Drama at the Drag Brunch, are rated 18+ for content/language, while others, like Camp Moss-Keto, are just fine for 13+.
5. Share the pics! Your friends will want to relive their Couple’s Night virtual mystery event over and over again, so make sure to take lots of screenshots of your group throughout the evening. After you’ve all solved the murder- and have had a blast doing so- upload your photos to Instagram or Facebook and tag @bwaymysteries to get your group’s photos featured on our feed!
6. Play again! We’ve created all our games to be played over and over again, because the murderer always changes! You and your group can play again as different characters and have a new outcome. Use our handy Murderer/Innocent assignment tool here.
We hope these tips have inspired you to host your very own Virtual Murder Mystery Couple’s Night! For more tips and tricks on virtual play, click here. To hire our Private Party Host to coordinate your entire event from start to finish, click here.